A wheel-thrown and engine-turned yellow-ware (yellowware) teapot with white sprigs. The body is a tan yellow with a clear lead glaze. The handle is moulded as acanthus rococo with a thumb spur and two lower spurs. The spout has plain leaf moulding around the base and a flower on the top back (the hood).
The sprigs include two different flower sprigs repeated around body and lid as well as a classical figure with a cornucopia and bunch of grapes - probably representing ‘Plenty’. Also a figure of a classical woman with a sickle and holding a sheaf of wheat, probably depicting ‘Ceres’ (Goddess of the harvest etc.). Hand-pierced internal six hole strainer in inverted triangle formation. The foot inner rim is impressed with ‘21’.
There is no published record of this teapot in the major works on teapots. This type of ware is also referred to as glazed caneware. Probably made in Staffordshire circa 1835.
113mm highest to top of lid finial.
Small piece of spout lip broken off and repaired (glued). Several tiny to small chips on edge of spout lip. Absolutely tiny and virtually invisible (about 6mm) hairline in rim.