A good quality white felspathic stoneware jug with applied clay sprigs (bas-reliefs). The neck and upper handle have been dipped with a deep blue slip-glaze and the whole jug is thinly glazed with a vapour (smear) glaze.
There are three applied clay sprigs around the body including: 'The Power of Love' (obverse), 'Charlotte Weeping at the Tomb of Werther' (front) and 'Poor Maria' (reverse).
The body has a dimpled background. There is a band of engine turning above the foot. The base and foot have been turned, the handle and spout are plain moulded.
This jug was made around 1795 to 1810, probably in Staffordshire. It is not marked but it may have been made by Turner or Spode. The 'felspathic' (or feldspathic) stoneware body was used by many potteries including Castleford in Yorkshire.
79mm high to top of handle (approx. 3.1")
Excellent condition. It looks perfect but has two tiny short hairlines, 10mm in spout (with associated microchip) and 30mm in body which crosses lower handle terminal. No restoration.